Let’s do a depression checkup…
When I was studying for my master’s degree I remember one of my professors describing the pervasive nature of depression through an analogy. She said it was like walking around with sun glasses on all of the time. Can you imagine having to wear sun glasses 24 hours a day if you didn’t want to wear them? It would be uncomfortable to say the least, maybe even irritating. Imagine you didn’t realize you still had your sun glasses on, but you couldn’t see things the way you wanted to see them. Anyone can experience a moment of “feeling blue”, but depression is more than that. Depression makes dark times darker and light times dark too. It can feel like something that cannot be overcome, but there is help for depression and it can be managed. Maybe something has seemed a little off, but you haven’t been able to put your finger on it. If you are currently experiencing more than one of these symptoms below and have been for more than 14 days you should consult a mental health professional for support.
• Feelings of sadness or hopelessness that just seem to hang around
• Loss of interest in things you used to enjoy
• Irritability or restlessness
• Feeling useless or worthless
• Too much sleep or inability to sleep
• Loss of interest in sex
• Extreme fatigue
• Impaired function at school or work
• No appetite or excessive appetite
• Thoughts of death or suicide
• Digestive issues without medical illness
If you found yourself in these symptoms don’t take this journey alone.
Call (317)471-8996 and schedule an appointment with us at The Well. Let us help.
Latest posts by Elizabeth White (see all)
- 3 Steps to Taking Care of Yourself Emotionally Part 3 - February 22, 2012
- 3 Steps to Taking Care of Yourself Emotionally Part 2 - February 16, 2012
- 3 Steps to Taking Care of Yourself Emotionally Part 1 - February 14, 2012